Akkas & Associates is a globally recognized law firm with a long record of excellence and professional leadership in Istanbul, Turkey. Our Turkey citizenship lawyers are prepared to assist you to apply for Turkey Citizenship in General Terms.
Our Turkish real estate lawyers represent our clients in real property purchases, we prepare real estate sale contracts including residential and commercial properties and lands. We review and amend the contracts that are prepared by the developers as well. After we finish the property buying phase we apply & represent our clients throughout the Turkey citizenship application process until they get their Turkish passports.
Turkey Citizenship Application in General Terms
Our Turkish Citizenship Lawyers are ready to apply for Turkey citizenship in general terms. Apart from these options for investors; please note that Turkey is still very conservative in its citizenship applications. According to Turkish Nationality Act No.5901, a foreign applicant should meet the following requirements in order to apply for Turkish nationality (excluding the exceptions provided with the new amendments for investor immigrants):
- Should be at the age of consent according to his/her national law (if he/she is not a citizen of any country, Turkish law is taken into consideration which requires 18 years old as the age of consent)
- Should reside in Turkey for the last five (5) years (without intervention/break) and should have the intention of settling in Turkey
- Should be in good health
- Should speak enough Turkish
- Should have enough financial resources to support the applicant and the applicant’s family.
If one meets the conditions above, a Turkish nationality Application can be made through the Consulate General or the local Governor’s office in Turkey with the following documents:
- A document revealing the present nationality of the applicant (passport or birth certificate)
- If married to a Turkish national, the official documents confirming the identities and family ties of the spouse and the couple’s underaged children
- Certification of applicant’s ability to speak Turkish (a certificate will be issued by this Consulate General upon a successful interview of the applicant)
- A medical certificate confirming the applicant’s good health and being free from any infectious diseases that may endanger the public health (this certificate can be obtained from hospitals or family doctors)
- Four (4) passport-type pictures in color
- Completed application forms which can be obtained from Consulate General or Governorships in Turkey
- The document obtained from the Provincial Directorate of Security shows uninterrupted residency as well as entrance and exit dates into Turkey
- Certification and translation fee payment slips
- Administration fee payment slips
Completed application files are submitted to the Ministry of Interior, which will consider and process the applications on their merits. It may take six (6) to twenty-four (24) months to obtain a ruling on the application.
Five (5) Year Rule and Extended Stay for Longer Term in Turkey
As outlined above (and except for special investment immigration options to be reviewed in a further section) foreigners shall reside in Turkey legally for longer than five (5) years to become eligible for citizenship applications.
Alternatively, foreigners who reside in Turkey for longer than eight (8) years also become eligible to obtain an indefinite-term residence permit (like US Greed Card) if they do not wish to switch to Turkish citizenship. Such a valid longer-term stay in Turkey could be achieved with different methods.
Marriage with a Turkish Citizen
Foreigners are eligible to stay in Turkey for longer terms and/or become Turkish citizens upon marriage to a Turkish citizen. For becoming eligible for citizenship, the foreigner and the Turkish citizen shall be married for at least three (3) years.
Required Documents For Turkey Citizenship Application in General Terms
- Application form (Vat-4)
- Passport or ID card that shows his/her nationality. If he/she is stateless approved documents with Turkish translated and certified by the notary.
- Consent letter (taken from a notary or the related officer in domestic, if abroad external representation or from the authorized offices from his/her country) for the children who are under their mother’s/father’s custody and applying for citizenship with.
- Marital status document and if married marriage certificate, if divorced divorce certificate, if widow/widower death certificate.
- The birth certificate shows personal information or a population register sample document, and if married family registration certificate that proves the family bond between his/her spouse and children.
- Service charge receipt from finance cashier desk.
- 2 biometric photographs (50×60 mm, white background, machine-readable, plain set by ICAO).
Reach us for Turkey Citizenship in General Terms
Akkas & Associates is a solution-oriented Turkish law firm that empowers clients to meet the diverse and changing demands of today’s citizenship with investment law. Since 1992, our lawyers have been helping clients with complex legal challenges and maximizing opportunities for success.
Our law firm is now one of the leading Turkey Citizenship law firms in Istanbul, Turkey. You may reach us for Turkey Citizenship in General Terms through our Contact page.